The Catedral de Santa María de la Sede de Sevilla is the largest Gothic cathedral in the world. Its construction began in the first third of the 15th century, after the demolition of the former great mosque of the city. The predominant style is Gothic, which in turn coexists with Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassical and Neogothic structures, as the work continued over the centuries.
There are still a few remnants of the old mosque in the current Cathedral: the orange tree-clad courtyard, Patio de los Naranjos, and the Almohad minaret, converted to a Renaissance bell tower during the middle of the 16th century by Hernán Ruiz II; the well-known Giralda.
The building, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, contains works or great importance from authors like Juan Bautista Vázquez “The Old Fellow”, Duque Cornejo, Martínez Montañés, Zurbarán, Pedro de Campaña, Goya o Murillo, as well as the tombs of distinguished names as Fernando III “The Saint” or Cristóbal Colón.
It is also important to note that the main altarpiece of the Cathedral of Sevilla is considered one of the most important ones of the Christianity.
The Reales Alcazares de Sevilla are a group of palaces which form the oldest royal palace in Europe. Originally constructed during the Muslim era, these palaces were remodeled and expanded over the centuries adapting to new requirements. Recent studies place the first settlements of the city in this location and its surroundings. The Alcázar de Sevilla is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The predominant style is Mudejar, since the first remodeling occurred after the conquest of the city in 1248 by Fernando III. Expansion and remodeling works in Renaissance and Baroque styles took place subsequently.
Some of the characteristic elements of the building are the Patio de las Doncellas, the façade of the palace of Pedro I, the dome of the Salón de los Ambassadors, and the vast gardens of the palaces.
The building of the Archivo General de Indias was built at the end of the 16th century by Juan de Minjares over a design previously made by Juan de Herrera, architect of San Lorenzo del Escorial, in a Renaissance style.
After the voyages of Columbus, Seville happened to become the only port allowed to trade with America, delivering great benefits to the city and turning into the most important harbour of its era. Due to these facts, many traders and merchants got together around the harbour and, for that matter, the king Felipe II ordered the construction of this building for them and to store all the documents concerning the voyages to the American continent.
The Archivo de Indias is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Its construction began in 1914 to become the main building of the Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929, which took place in Seville. The architect was Aníbal González, who accomplished one of the most important works of the Regionalist style. The construction symbolizes the embrace of Spain to its ancient colonies, while looking towards the Guadalquivir River as a symbol of the way to America. The building is filled with national emblems (badges, distinguished personalities, etc.) You can also enjoy it on a boat ride along its 1600 ft (500 m) canal.
The Plaza de España has also been used as a setting for films, such as Lawrence of Arabia or Star Wars Episode II: The Clone Wars.
The Parque de María Luisa is the most well-known park in the city. This space was part of the gardens attached to the Palacio de San Telmo until 1893, when the Duchess of Montpensier gave it away to the city for the construction of a public garden. The park, designed by the landscapist Forestier, opened its gates in 1914.
This magnificent garden was part of the above-mentioned Ibero-American Exhibition of 1929, with buildings within the park like the Plaza de España. Another space within the park dedicated to this kind of act is Plaza de América, where the Pabellón Real, Pabellón Mudéjar (nowadays, Museum of Popular Arts and Customs) and the Pabellón de Bellas Artes (current Archaeological Museum) are located.
This ancient Jewish quarter is one of the most typical quarters of the city. This Barrio de Santa Cruz forms a labyrinthine network of streets which usually converge in some of its famous squares, such as the Plaza de Doña Elvira, Plaza de los Refinadores or Plaza de Santa Cruz, where an ancient church which gave its name to the quarter was located.
Discover its streets, its legends and stories, like the ones of the beautiful Susona or Don Juan Tenorio. Live the atmosphere and listen to the tunas (student musical groups) that tirelessly sing along its streetsThis ancient Jewish quarter is one of the most typical quarters of the city.
The bullring of Sevilla is considered one of the most important ones in the bullfighting world, and counts on one of the most famous events to that matter: La Feria de Abril.
Its construction began in 1749, being one of the oldest bullrings in Spain. With its late Baroque style, it’s considered one of the most beautiful ones in the country. A museum about the history of bullfighting can be visited within its walls.
The Golden Tower was part of the defense of the Alcazar, to which was connected by a wall. It was built in three phases: the first body in 1220, the second one in the 16th century and the last one in 1760.
There are many stories about its name, but none has been proven to be true. There is a story that says the tower was covered with golden tiles, another one claims that the “golden” attribute arises from the wealth that came from America through the river Guadalquivir and was stored in the tower. The most probable theory points to the material used for the construction of the tower, which gave it a golden appearance that also reflected on the river, as the origin of its name.
The Iglesia del Salvador was built on an ancient Muslim great mosque, which was settled on Roman and Visigothic constructions. The Baroque architecture houses Baroque treasures such as the main altarpiece, or the images of Cristo del Amor and Señor de Pasión.
The current building is the work of the architect Leonardo de Figueroa and was raised between 1674 and 1712. This is the biggest church in the city after the cathedral.
The city hall building has two main façades, one of them facing Plaza Nueva and the other one Plaza de San Francisco. Its construction began on the 15th century under the direction of Diego de Riaño, who was responsible for the Plateresque style of the first part of the building. This wing is the one facing the Avenida de la Constitución and some part of the Plaza de San Francisco –a place where an old arch which gave access to San Francisco convent can be found. In the 16th century the rest of the building was completed in Neoclassical style.
Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación, y ofrecer contenidos y publicidad de interés. Al continuar con la navegación entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.AceptarLeer Más